Senior Companion Program
The Senior Companion Program (SCP) offers volunteer opportunities to limited-income persons age 55 and older. Senior Companions primarily serve the frail elderly and persons with disabilities in their home for at least 15 hours a week.
Senior Companion may provide:
- Feeding, dressing, and grooming assistance
- Mobility assistance
- Medication monitoring
- Food preparation, meal planning, and light grocery shopping
- Companionship and peer support
- Light housekeeping and gardening
- Money management assistance
- Help connecting to needed services (food stamps, visiting nurse, supplemental Security Income, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.)
- Caregiver respite to prevent breakdown in household capacity
Senior Companions receive 40 hours of pre-service orientation and training, plus four hours of in-service training each month from their sponsoring agencies or volunteer stations.
Senior Companions receive a modest tax-free stipend and assistance with an annual physical exam. While in service, they receive accident, personal, and automobile liability insurance as well as assistance with the cost of transportation.